Census Records for North Dakota
• Indexed'1850 as Pembina County, Minnesota Territory; 1860, as unorganized Dakota; 1870, as Dakota Territory; special 1885 (see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930
• Soundex'1900, 1920
Industry and Agriculture Schedules
• Agriculture'1870, 1880
• 1860, 1870, 1880 Indexed as Dakota Territory; 1885
Union Veterans Schedules
The first federal census records available for this area can be found with the 1836 Iowa Territory census. North Dakota State Archives and Historical Research Library of the State Historical Society of North Dakota (see North Dakota Archives, Libraries, and Societies) holds microfilmed copies of 1850 Pembina County Minnesota; 1860, 1870, and 1880 of Dakota Territory; the 1890 Union veterans and widows census; the 1900 census, including Soundex; and 1910 census. Dakota Territory agriculture schedules for 1870 and 1880 are on microfilm at the South Dakota State Historical Society.
The 1857 census for Pembina County, then part of Minnesota Territory, is located at the State Archives and Historical Research Library.
Part of the special, pre-statehood, federal 1885 census is available in print (see Collections under Background Sources for North Dakota). Only part of the indexing has been completed by AISI and is also available at www.ancestry.com. This schedule included a special veterans and mortality return. This and the unindexed 1915 and 1925 state censuses are available on microfilm at the State Archives and Historical Research Library and through interlibrary loan.
Several series of censuses were taken at the different reservations. Indexing is variable. Unless otherwise indicated, the State Archives and Historical Research Library retains these censuses:
• Fort Totten Reservation: 1885'1905, 1910'39
• Fort Berthold Reservation: 1889'93, 1895'1939
• Standing Rock Reservation: 1885'1913, 1915'39 (located at National Archives'Central Plains Region in Kansas City)
• Turtle Mountain Reservation: 1885'1905 (with Fort Totten Reservation), 1910'39
• Digger Indians: 1899'1904, 1915'20
- North Dakota Census Records - free up-to-date guide to accessing North Dakota census records. Identifies federal, state, and territorial censuses, as well as substitute records (FamilySearch Research Wiki).