Background Sources for Arizona
This entry was originally written by Dwight A. Radford and Nell Sachse Woodard for Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources.
- Bancroft, Hubert Howe. The History of Arizona and New Mexico 1530'1888. Vol.17. San Francisco: History Publishing Co., 1889.
- Beers, Henry Putney. Spanish and Mexican Records of the American Southwest: A Bibliographical Guide to Archive and Manuscript Sources. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 1979.
- Faulk, Odie B. Arizona: A Short History. Norman, Okla.: University of Oklahoma Press, 1970.
- Granger, Byrd H. Will C. Barnes' Arizona Place Names. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 1960.
- Luckingham, Bradford. Phoenix: The History of a Southwestern Metropolis (Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 1989). This is the first comprehensive history of the southwest's largest city.
- ______. Minorities in Phoenix: A Profile of Mexican American, Chinese American, and African American Communities, 1860'1992. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 1994. This second work of Luckingham's deals with Phoenix minority studies. It traces the struggles against segregation and discrimination encountered by minorities to their rise and contributions to the Phoenix community. The author draws from newspaper files, statistical data, and oral accounts.
- Officer, James E. Hispanic Arizona, 1536'1856. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 1988. This encyclopedic work covers Native American relations, the Mexican War, boundary problems, politics, and the Gadsden Purchase. An important work for background to the subject of Hispanic Arizona.
- Powell, Lawrence Clark. Arizona: A Bicentennial History. New York: W. W. Norton and Co.; and Nashville: American Association for State and Local History, 1976.
- Sheridan, Thomas E. Arizona: A History. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 1995. A modern survey of the state's history including Native Americans, Hispanics, and Anglos.
- Wagoner, Jay J. Early Arizona: Prehistory to Civil War. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 1975.
- ______. Arizona Territory, 1863'1912: A Political History. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 1970.